Friday, September 18, 2009

Zesty Salsa

10 cups chopped, peeled tomatoes (about 6 lbs. I blanch and peel them and put them through my bosch slicer)

5 cups chopped and seeded long green peppers (bell also work, about 2 lbs. I chop these in my blender with water then strain out water leaving chopped peppers. So much easier than by hand)

5 cups chopped onions (about 1 1/2 lbs. I've used yellow or red, also use blender with water, saves on teary eyes)

2 1/2 cups chopped hot peppers ( I use jalapeno, about 1 lb. I blend these in my blender with some tomatoes, that way I don't have to touch them a lot and get burned.)

1 1/4 cups cider vinegar

3 cloves garlic

2 tablespoons cilantro, minced (I've tried canning with and without this and I can't ever taste it unless its fresh, so just add it when you go to eat it)

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer. ( I let it simmer 30 min to 1 1/2 hours depending on how thin the salsa is. Roma tomatoes make it a lot thicker than slicing tomatoes) Ladle hot salsa into hot jars (so they don't break) leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put lids and bands on. Process in boiling water bath for 25 min. ( The higher the altitude the longer the processing time) Yield about 6-7 pints.

No comments: